The Fieldwood Heritage Society was organized in the winter of 1988 and held its first meeting on February 25, 1989 during Heritage Week. It was incorporated as a society on November 20, 1989.
The logo, designed by Matth Cupido, depicts a three-masted schooner (tern) named Fieldwood, built in the Bigelow yard in Canning in 1920 and lost off Cape Sable Island in 1938. She was the last large ship built in Canning. The builders were Russell Hatfield and Arthur Lockwood, hence the ship's name.